Sunday, October 17, 2010

Spell-Casting Classes and Sub-Types: Class Matrix

Before I dig into the specific Wizard sub-classes, I need to give a little big-picture orientation on how the magic cosmology represented in the Octagram…

C:\Documents and Settings\gwharton\Desktop\personal\RPG\Arcane.dwg

…translates into the division and sub-division of spell-casting classes. I’ve prepared a handy reference chart you can use to keep track of how the various sub-classes break out with respect to their areas of magical focus (these tables are getting a little too complicated for my rudimentary HTML skillz, so I’ve started generating them as images).

Microsoft Word - CastingTypesMatrix.doc

There are a lot of new names in there, but some familiar ones as well. The previously-separate Illusionist, Druid, and Monk classes are all going to be subsumed by this system and adapted to it (as is the Paladin, which will merge with the Paragon sub-class, and the Ranger, which will merge with the Druid/Shaman sub-class…but I’m getting way ahead of myself). You’ll also notice something funny with the Priest/Cleric classes and their magic type specializations (an overlapping of categories). That will be explained when we get to talking about divine magic and priests.

Next up, I’ll be discussing each sub-class of Wizard in mutually antagonistic pairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment